Error: python-rtmidi not found (Win 10 Pro)

Hi Jean-Emmanuel,

First of all thank you so much for OSC! It's a great joy to have discovered it.

At the moment I'm stuck because when I try to list MIDI-devices I get an error:

(ERROR, MIDI) python-rtmidi not found (or wrong version) (running with python 3.7.0)
(INFO, MIDI) Get python-rtmidi at ...

The situation is this: there's two computers, both with new and clean installed Windows 10 Pro. The same OSC version (1.9.8 - also tried earlier ones) works fine on one machine but gives the error on the other machine.

I've tried to find out why but I'm clueles now. The 'problematic machine' is the important one as it will be the control centre with OSC.

What could be the reason of this difference? And what will prevent the error?

The file needed for the midi backend must have been deleted by your antivirus, it may have been flagged (in which case it's a false positive). Re-download O-S-C and make sure to white list the file "osc-midi-windows.exe" if it raises a warning.

For the record, you don't need to install python to run O-S-C.

Hi,

osc-midi-windows.exe is present and seems to be OK.
Real time scanning by Windows Defender is off. No third party AV installed. No python either.
Manualy scanning osc-midi-windows.exe by Windows Defender gives no warning.

I tried OSC on yet another machine, with a new Windows installation (& Windows Security switched off).

The same problem arises. The two problematic machines are both small NUC's. The other is a custom build tower.

Hi

Have you installed from the sources or from the exe ?

@Greenman osc-midi-windows.exe is only present in the packaged version.

@Udo It seems it's not as simple as I thought. I'm not familiar with NUC's, is the OS any different than the one on your 3rd computer ? Is O-S-C located in a deeply nested folder structure, or maybe in a path containing unusual characters ? I'm making blind guesses here...

Hi,

Thanks for thinking along for a possible solution.

On all three machines I did the same:

1. downloaded open-stage-control-1.9.8-win32-x64.zip
  2. unzipped it and put the complete folder on the desktop
  3. ran OSC from there

I installed the OS from the same bootable USB-stick each time. I checked the version and they're all listed as 'Windows 10 Pro, build 19042'.

Putting the folder somewhere else (e.g. directly on C:) didn't change anything. Neither did running it as administrator or installing the most recent Windows updates.

Then I exchanged Windows for Lubuntu Linux on one of the NUC's to see if it made any difference. It did! OSC listed the midi ports as it should.

Too bad the touch screen functionality on Linux never worked properly, while on Windows it works flawlessly. So I think I'm stuck at Windows.

I can't think of anything else for now but meanwhile you could follow the installation procedure for "other systems" (ie install python and python-rtmidi) which should work.

If you're using that NUC only to send controls to your main system, you could also run the o-s-c server on that system and use a browser on the NUC.

I followed the instructions carefully yet the installation procedure for 'other systems' didn't solve the problem either. So I turned to Linux again and finally got the touch screen working. Not flawlessly but better than nothing.

Will the focus problem stay away when you remotely control the server? The only reason I use another machine as a controller is to prevent this focus problem. The server should therefore always run in the background and never catch any signals (keyboard, mouse, MIDI) which are meant for the DAW.

The server itself doesn't catch keyboard/mouse events, only the client app / browser does.