Strange behaviour of midi button with Ableton Live Remote Scripts

Dear all
I am using Ableton and a Remote Script and an Ipad as controller device.
I have recognized a strange behaviour of the button widget (configured as toggle - also checked with push and tap - same behaviour) sending midi:

When want to trigger a mute button of the selected channel, each press the widget sends the values 127,1,0

MIDI Monitor Log:
|16:36:17.368|From OSC|Control|16|11|1|
|16:36:17.368|To OSC|Control|16|11|1|
|16:36:17.387|From OSC|Control|16|11|127|
|16:36:17.387|To OSC|Control|16|11|127|
|16:36:17.408|From OSC|Control|16|11|0|
|16:36:17.408|To OSC|Control|16|11|0|

With this, the mute button does not change it's state. It only flickers one time, but reverts back to it's previous state.

When I use Midi Designer (ipad Midi App) it works as expected. Midi Designer does only send 127 or 1 depending of the state.

Does anybody use OpenStage Control in conjunction with Ableton Live + Remote Scripts. This strange behaviour occurs only with buttons. Faders work as expected.

Any hint is highly appreciated :slight_smile:

That's not very clear to me, what are the button's on/off/preArgs properties ?

MIDI Monitor Log:

Can you enable the server's debug option and copy the messages printed in the console instead, it should provide similar informations but from OSC's point of view.

With this, the mute button does not change it's state. It only flickers one time, but reverts back to it's previous state.

This happens when the buttons receives its "off" value.

Good Morning Emmanuel
Thank you so much to respond to me :slight_smile:

I provide you with appropriate screenshots.

Using Midi Port OSC from the IAC it does not work:

Screenshot 2021-04-01 at 09.48.00.png

Kind regards and many thanks for your support
Andreas

I'm sorry but the image is too small I can't read the text.

Hi Emmanuel
If you double click on the image, it should open in its original big size.

Have you tried that?

Kind regards
Andreas

In "tap" mode, the button only sends its "on" value and blinks once, it also blinks once when it receives its "off" value.

On a sidenote you should not specify the "path" option in the server's midi config unless you don't want to use the built-in in midi binary. Python and python-rtmidi are not needed since v1.7.

On mac (and linux) you don't need to use IAC, you can create midi virtual ports directly from OSC by writing "OSC:virtual" instead of "OSC:1,1", could you please try that as it could eliminate possible routing errors.

Hi
don't know if it can helps you but : https://gum.co/Ableton_OSC_Script

Perfect, it works, many thanks :slight_smile:

Good input. This will help for sure. Many thanks for that.

1 Like