Button — remain lit while clip is playing using MIDI

Hi there!

New to O-S-C so thanks for being patient and understanding of my request! I finally feel accomplished after spending days trying to sort out getting MIDI to be sent/received between Ableton Live (omg it was so easy after I figured out what I didn’t understand!)

I’m hoping to make a template for a ‘soundboard’ using clips in Ableton’s Session View. I currently have one clip set to trigger with a button set as a toggle button (but have had similar results with push and tap buttons):

(DEBUG, MIDI) out: CONTROL_CHANGE: channel=1, cc=1, value=100 To: midi:OSCMIDI
(DEBUG, MIDI) in: CONTROL_CHANGE: channel=1, cc=1, value=126 From: midi:OSCMIDI
(DEBUG, OSC) In: { address: ‘/control’, args: [ 1, 1, 126 ] } From: midi:OSCMIDI
(DEBUG, MIDI) in: CONTROL_CHANGE: channel=1, cc=1, value=0 From: midi:OSCMIDI
(DEBUG, OSC) In: { address: ‘/control’, args: [ 1, 1, 0 ] } From: midi:OSCMIDI
(DEBUG, MIDI) in: CONTROL_CHANGE: channel=1, cc=1, value=127 From: midi:OSCMIDI
(DEBUG, OSC) In: { address: ‘/control’, args: [ 1, 1, 127 ] } From: midi:OSCMIDI

First off, this seems like a LOT of messages being sent — is something connected that shouldn’t be?

I’m wondering how I might go about having the light remain illuminated until the moment that the clip is complete in Ableton. Is this possible?

First off, this seems like a LOT of messages being sent — is something connected that shouldn’t be?

What you see is what is received, the port is always the same so I guess that's on ableton's side. Note that each MIDI message is translated to an OSC message, that's why you get 2 lines per event.

I’m wondering how I might go about having the light remain illuminated until the moment that the clip is complete in Ableton. Is this possible?

It seems your questions would be better answered on an ableton forum since the issue here is to make it to send the appropriate message depending on the clip's state.

1 Like

That makes sense — it seems like with Ableton the current situation is such where once I trigger the clip it shows it's reached value 126, then 0, then 127, then 0, then 0...how odd! I'll ask around in Ableton forums. Thank you!

Given this, I suppose my main curiosity is how the button’s light remains illuminated in other implementations of O-S-C — I haven’t seen anything on this in the documentation and don’t know CSS well enough to know how to go about testing/programming this sort of thing myself.

Also, any idea (even though I know this is on Ableton’s side ultimately) why Ableton would send 126, then 0, then 127, then 0, then 0 again? And is there any way that, if this is just what Ableton does w/ MIDI, to program it such that the last 0 value could trigger a turning-off of the button’s illumination?

Thanks so much again for such an amazing program!

I suppose my main curiosity is how the button’s light remains illuminated in other implementations of O-S-C

A button widget with mode set to toggle is activated when it receives its on value and deactivated when it receives its off value, it's as simple as this.

1 Like

That is so simple! Thanks and sorry for the overly basic question!