Return/Update the state of a button

Hi there, this is my first question here and despite perusing the topics and replies I'm unsure if my question has already been answered. I have precisely zero experience coding, so perhaps I've missed a glaring example of the answer.

I have made a functional controller for Cubase 12, and everything is working perfectly. However, the controller is dumb at this point ; it consists only of tap or double tap buttons that are mapped to commands using Cubase 12's new mapping editor (which is a joy btw).

My question is ; What is the simplest way to have any button listen to Cubase for the state of the selected channel. To be clear, the commands I've implemented are all 'selected channel' ; I have one set of commands on my template and I use next and previous channel buttons to navigate the project. I'm not using mixer banks, so I have 1 "Record Arm" button, 1 "read Auto", 1 "Solo" and so on.

My apologies if this has been answered already.

1 Like

Hello Stevie,

Sorry for the delay answering your question.
First, in order to have two-way communication between Cubase and OSC, you need 2 virtual ports (for example "fromOSC" and "toOSC").
Connect the Cubase MIDI Remote Input to "fromOSC" and the Output to "toOSC".

In the OSC server MIDI configuration prop add a line looking like this:
oscMIDI:toOSC,fromOSC
(I'm using oscMIDI as an example, but you can name it whatever you want)

Now, use this as the target of your OSC controls:
midi:oscMIDI

Then, in Cubase, make sure to change the control Value Mode to "Jump".
(the default is set to "Scaled" for faders and "Toggle" for buttons).

And another detail, for buttons Cubase sends the max MIDI value (127), so make sure your OSC button is set to this value in the on prop.

Hope it helps,
Cheers

2 Likes

Thank you so much.

Hi @ClelsonLopes

I was wondering if you might be able to advice me on something similar. I'm trying to have a function's status in Cubase 11, return that status to OSC and toggle the button accordingly. (ex. dark color for on, light color for off) I haven't managed to figure out what I'm doing wrong, despite following a few different threads here exploring very similar issues.

I'm using a single IAC midi port, with python installed. I'm a bit confused as to whether I in fact need an additional IAC port.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. I'm not very versed in coding, although from poking around here, I did manage to create a robust set of OSC controls for a Cubase Generic Remote, but feeding status back into OSC from Cubase is still beyond me.

Thx

AMilne

Regarding your midi setup in OSC, I recommend you read this thread : Initial MIDI settings