OSC MIDI 2.0 Compliant/Conforme

I am starting this topic to speculate what OSC with MIDI Capability Inquiry (MIDI-CI) would be.

To me, the most attractive features are automated identification and configuration of MIDI devices, dynamic bi-directional communication between devices, and a 32-bit environment that allows hundreds of MIDI 1 & 2 devices, and of course, the higher resolution affording more natural expression by controllers without the cost of proprietary technology.

In my search, I found only one post and a single comment on this forum that seemed to suggest, perhaps with tongue in cheek, that MIDI 2.0 would make OSC superfluous.

In the world of innovation and creation, one must lead the target or miss it entirely.

I personally fell in love at first sight with OSC, if for no other reason than it saved me from having to creating something much like it, and to which I hope to contribute as a community member.

Though before retiring my career was in IT, my field of study is Environmental Psychology, simply put, understanding people in context. My application is the design and production of a guitar controller that is authentically guitar-like by virtue of a different human factors approach to both the hardware and software, building upon prior art, rather than casting it aside.

Hi,

I don't believe MIDI 2.0 will make OSC superfluous. In my experience, working with MIDI has always been a pain in the ***, it's a standard, it's somewhat unavoidable to play with synths, but when it comes to connecting human readable ideas and softwares in a modular context, OSC remains my favorite. As far as I'm concerned, MIDI is and will always be a secondary feature in open stage control.

In the world of innovation and creation, one must lead the target or miss it entirely.

I'll miss it gladly then. I don't consider myself as a competitor in the world of innovation, Open Stage Control is nothing but a tool born out of my need for a free and open source controller. I'm happy to see it attracts many users but that doesn't mean it's destined to grow indefinitely.

That being said, it is an open source project and pull requests are always welcome.

3 Likes

Perhaps this is not translating effectively because I made clear that I DO NOT see OSC rendered superfluous, or "superseded" and was specifically referring to the title of another post "MIDI 2.0 will supersede OSC?" created by @Dazzer

Second, is that contrary to a pervasive myth in Pop Science, the growing census of the scientific community is most human innovation and invention is NOT born of competition or conflict, but from the evolution of social cognition and cooperative problem solving that humans are uniquely adapted for.

I don't understand why instead of engaging with me in fruitful discussion, you instead chose to respond defensively. I stated in my original post that I am a fan of your work and hope to support it as a community member.

Full disclosure, I am the founder of a cooperative community that is based out of Oakland, CA and named Aп Solas Sí AгtScıeпce https://solas.si
A Live-Learn-Make ArtScience Cooperative for Communications, Performing Arts, Content Development, Intellectual Property Management.

I guess it went out more aggressive than intended and I admit I misunderstood the reference to that other thread, so please accept my apologies. I also do appreciate your positive feedback and your enthusiasm, and failed to mention it in the first place. The sentence I quoted may have led me to misinterpret your message as it did sound like a call for competition.

The reason I'm not particularity interested in MIDI 2.0 is that its main appeal is to make midi instruments better (which is great for midi instruments), and I don't think open stage control aims to be an instrument, but merely a remote control editor. My experience as a musician is more oriented toward acoustic instruments and when it comes to playing with machines, I'm a little skeptical as to what MIDI 2.0 will actually bring that can't be done already, besides the obvious economical opportunities for hardware vendors.

The project that brought me to OSC is to create a MIDI Guitar Controller that authentically plays like a guitar.

There is this odd idea based on "native common sense" that making minimal changes to the guitar by just tacking on a MIDI Pickup with Controller Package results in a more guitar-like experience. No one who has ever designed even a door handle on a car would give that idea a pass. It literally contradicts almost two generations of design science.

The engineers who design MIDI guitar controllers view them as an exclusively electronic and mechanical problem informed by their native common sense as guitar players at best. There is also a certain narcissistic elitism propagated in social media, a pride in manipulating complex technology, that doesn't objectively encourage research in optimizing the guitar as a system of control that seamlessly integrates digital control in a uniform, consistent, intuitive manner.

No matter how they look, they do not "feel" like guitars.

I seek to introduce a hackable, systemic paradigm, an exosystem that DOES NOT ask guitar players to relearn the instrument in ways that do not build upon their native guitar skills.

You may be familiar with Remote Desktop/KVM technology from the mainstream computer world. I am interested in an innovative adaptation of ultra-low latency MIDI and Audio over IP, wired and wireless.

We seek to render the technology transparent, all but invisible to the artist, off-loading many software/hardware functions that not relevant to the immediacy of performance, but with progressively greater depth and nuance of control easily available for creative customization.

I found "Open Stage Control" while looking for the Open Sound Control/TouchOSC as the possible interim solution for my music ecosystem's graphical and control logic interface.

Open Sound was a dead-end, while Open Stage looks like a thriving platform with multiple communities

I am using the Elk Audio OS, their Raspberry Pi dev kit including the Elk Pi hat, together with Blackboard Breakout/Controller board. Elk OS is a Linux variant that assumes the use of the Sushi Headless DAW that has native hooks for JSON and since it had previously been used with Open Sound, comes with the reasonable assumption that Open Stage Control would do even better for a compatible, more agnostic platform that would accelerate initial development and allow us to quickly respond to users needs.

As you might have read on my cooperative's music instrument website:
Síofгaí CybeгMusıcal is an extension of Λп Solas Sí ΛгtScıeпce, the performing arts and science cooperative.

In a world where hyperbole and egoism is not only the norm but often the stock in trade, the work of the Síofraí, speaks for itself, form following function, with every expression of art and science, so subtle, as to render them all but invisible, never disrupting the creative flow, but an extension of the artist’s will.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
― Arthur C. Clarke’s Third Law

May 23, 2020, Work Bench Software Demo of MIDI 2,0 Property Exchange
Andrew Mee, a member of the MK2 Audio Consulting Group, presenting his experimental code written in React and displaying real-time MIDI property exchange with a simple Arduino device and a software synth. He mentions the code is available but when I couldn't follow where he described it is, I reached out to him directly to get a link to the share.

Hello all,

for those who are interested, I have created a "daemon" for Open Stage Control to make it speak MIDI 2.0 (to be more accurate, it talks UMP - Universal MIDI Protocol - MIDI 2.0 being a part of the UMP specification)

I am a member of the MMA Transport Working Group and I collaborate to the Network UMP specification which has not been officially published (by it is a question of weeks now, we are very near or releasing it).

My plans are to release the daemon source code publicly once the NetUMP specification is published, but if some OSC users want to try it, I can send the executable so you can get an idea of how to configure OSC to send and receive UMP / MIDI 2.0 messages (it works on Windows and Linux)

Benoit

Hi, what does OSC2 stand for ? :slight_smile:

Hi Jean-Emmanuel,

LOL, I just realized that I typed OSC2 as I was thinking of Open Stage Control and MIDI 2.0 at the same time.
I will modify my post, it's not OSC2 of course, it's OSC

Benoit