OSC communication issue

Hi There,

I am logging this post for one of the users of Flow+, which is based on Open Stage Control.
So far it is working great! :smiley:

Gene is a professional composer and he is having issue with OSC, it has nothing to do with the Flow development since we tried with one simple project with just one button.

The issue is that the browser is not talking with the server.
Initially we saw that midi messages did not reach loop midi ports (no data).
Then we saw that if we enable the debug, there is not even a debug log when the button is pressed.
The we created a button with a wrong midi address and there was not even an error message.
Also accessing from mobile does not work.

Clearly the server is not accessible.

He is on Windows, we checked all the firewall settings and the app is allowed to communicate in private and local network.

Any idea what this could be?

Thanks in advance
Marco

There may be two distinct issues here, a midi issue and a network issue. The network issue is unlikely to be on o-s-c's side, the fact that the default client works show that the server is actually available, it accesses the server just like a regular browser using http://127.0.0.1:port. As for the midi issue, in your test session are you confident the widget's target property and the server's midi option were properly set ?

1 Like

Hi Emmanuel,
thanks for the reply

The test project is a very simple one, created on my side, working and then sent to him.
I also attach it here, I would exclude the midi issue at all.
gene.json (1.9 KB)

The main issue I want to point you out is that even if he puts the debug mode on there is nothing in the log, not even when we set some wrong midi target (we should see an error log at least)

So the fact that there is no debug log makes me think an issue of communication between client and server

don't you think?

It could also be a problem in the midi config, I'd need to see the exact server config ("save as" in the launcher's menu).

Thanks for the support! I tried to upload but since I'm a new user I'm unable to add attachments here yet. I sent the file over to Marco to share.

Thanks!
-Gene

Hi All

here is the config file he is using
Hope this can help

OSC_Config_Gene.config (140 Bytes)

Nothing wrong here. Does the "List MIDI devices" action in the launcher's menu do anything ?

Ah ha, there is an issue with Python not being found - here's the log;

(ERROR, MIDI) Python was not found; run without arguments to install from the Microsoft Store, or disable this shortcut from Settings > Manage App Execution Aliases.

A JavaScript error occurred in the main process: Uncaught Exception:
TypeError: results is not iterable
at E:\Studio Apps and Tools\open-stage-control-1.9.9-win32-x64\resources\app\server\src\server\midi.js:124:1
at PythonShell._endCallback (E:\Studio Apps and Tools\open-stage-control-1.9.9-win32-x64\resources\app\server\node_modules\python-shell\index.js:254:1)
at terminateIfNeeded (E:\Studio Apps and Tools\open-stage-control-1.9.9-win32-x64\resources\app\server\node_modules\python-shell\index.js:209:1)
at ChildProcess. (E:\Studio Apps and Tools\open-stage-control-1.9.9-win32-x64\resources\app\server\node_modules\python-shell\index.js:182:1)
at ChildProcess.emit (events.js:203:13)
at Process.ChildProcess._handle.onexit (internal/child_process.js:272:12)

If this error occurs it means the file "osc-midi-windows.exe" (under open-stage-control/resources/app/server/) can't be executed, python is not needed otherwise. It may have been flagged as a false positive by the antivirus.

Thanks! Getting closer :slight_smile:

I tried disabling and returned this error;
Error: spawn python ENOENT
at Process.ChildProcess._handle.onexit (internal/child_process.js:264:19)
at onErrorNT (internal/child_process.js:456:16)
at processTicksAndRejections (internal/process/task_queues.js:77:11)

Can you double check that the aforementionned exe file is present ? Maybe redownload o-s-c to make sure it's not corrupted.

I did notice that the .exe was not in that path directory - only the open-stage-control-server was ... I can try downloading again but this is from a recent download of 1.9.9

Downloaded again and placed it in programs this time. error this time;

TypeError: results is not iterable
at C:\Program Files\open-stage-control-1.9.9-win32-x64\resources\app\server\src\server\midi.js:124:1
at PythonShell._endCallback (C:\Program Files\open-stage-control-1.9.9-win32-x64\resources\app\server\node_modules\python-shell\index.js:254:1)
at terminateIfNeeded (C:\Program Files\open-stage-control-1.9.9-win32-x64\resources\app\server\node_modules\python-shell\index.js:209:1)
at ChildProcess. (C:\Program Files\open-stage-control-1.9.9-win32-x64\resources\app\server\node_modules\python-shell\index.js:182:1)
at ChildProcess.emit (events.js:203:13)
at Process.ChildProcess._handle.onexit (internal/child_process.js:272:12)

Ok so this must happen because the midi backend doesn't work as expected. Could you open a terminal, and run these commands ?

cd C:\Program Files\open-stage-control-1.9.9-win32-x64\resources\app\server\
osc-midi-windows.exe --params list

Error is;
'osc-midi-windows.exe' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

Does running the ls command show that file in the list ?

it doesn't, no.

It sure looks like some antivirus removes it as soon as it gets executed...
I double checked the windows package just to be sure, it does contain that file.

Ok, yea makes sense. I've made sure to unblock/allow all open stage control. I'm looking in the zipped package before unzipping - I do see the osc-midi-windows app. I'll see if I can copy that and add it to the firewall allowance and see if I can get past it. Thank you for all the support!

I had Malware bytes running - and the app was definitely getting removed! I added as safe and now get this;

(INFO, MIDI) Inputs
-1: Void (bypass)
0: nanoKONTROL2 1 SLIDER/KNOB 0
1: Maschine MK2 In 1
2: X-Touch One 2
3: FL STUDIO FIRE 3
(INFO, MIDI) Outputs
-1: Void (bypass)
0: Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth 0
1: nanoKONTROL2 1 CTRL 1
2: Maschine MK2 Out 2
3: X-Touch One 3