No Control in Mobile Browser

Hi everyone,

I’m a complete newbie to OSC. I’ve managed to successfully set up a server on my laptop and control a piece of software on another computer over the network. However, when I try to connect to the server with my iPad or my Android phone, I see no widgets to control and I see an error in the bottom right of the screen that says, “The connection to the server has been interrupted”. (see attached pic)

I’ve made sure so save the session in order for it to update over the network, but no luck. I’ve restarted the server multiple times, but no luck. I can connect to the server without issue through Chrome on the same desktop hosting the software I’m controlling. As I said, my only issure as of now is connecting with a mobile device through a browser.

Any advice?

Hi, what’s the iPad’s version (and Chrome’s on Android) ?

Hi Jean, thanks for your reply. Here’s what I’ve got -

iPad iOS - 13.6.1
iPad Chrome - 85.0.4183.72

Android - 8.0.0
Android Chrome - 81.0.4044.138

Thanks, these versions are compatible. It could be a network issue, do you have a firewall running ? Can you try connecting to the server with a second computer ?

The router has had it’s firewall disabled from the beginning. I disabled the firewall on my server laptop, but there was no change.

Unfortunately I don’t have another computer I can try.

The 2 working computers have been connected through a switch. So, I unplugged my desktop and connected wirelessly. I had an issue at first until I changed the network connection to “private” on the desktop. After that it worked just fine.

The odd thing is that my mobile devices load OSC as You can see in the pic, but no widgets appear for control. I can’t wrap my mind around that.

@jean-emmanuel

I’ve managed to solve the problem… sorta.

I had the “use-ssl” option selected in the server configuration. Out of curiosity I disabled it and tried again, and bingo! It’s working great.

But that raises another question for me… why would that affect the use on only mobile? But, that may be a question for another time.

Mobile browsers may be more strict regarding self-signed certificate, not sure… did you make sure to write “https://…” in the url when use-ssl was on ? If not that’d explain it: the page could have been loaded from cache but the actual connection with the server could not work.

Yes, I made sure to include the “s” when trying to connect. I think you may be right in saying it could be a security issue with the mobile browsers. I do get the “this site is not secure” message when using adding the SSL, but I ignore it and continue - which leaves me where I was in my original post. But turning off the SSL in the server seems to fix my issue.

I’d say I’m an intermediate when it comes to networking, but this boggles me and I have no clue what to think, lol.