Increment Fader

Hi Everyone!

I'm trying to make an "increment" fader, with plus and minus button that move the fader up/down by 1.
I have successfully created the fader and it works as expected in OSC

Problem/Question - The plus/minus button work in OSC, BUT do not send out Midi CC info when pressed. So, I only see the Fader move in OSC with no effect on midi CC being sent out.

Any help / suggestions will be greatly appreciated! Here is a simple example of my Fader in progress..

Increment Fader.json (5.5 KB)

It must be something in your custom module, as your provided Increment Fader.json worked as you intended it to for me. The increment plus is hit, the value is sent, and I confirmed in cubase that it does move the fader. Ditto with increment_minus.

// debug log
app:oscOutFilter oscData: { address: '/increment_plus', args: [ { type: 'f', value: 1 } ], host: '192.168.1.11', port: '8000', clientId: 'RKQtOZXATq' } +38s
  app:oscOutFilter oscData: { address: '/control', args: [ { type: 'f', value: 1 }, { type: 'f', value: 1 }, { type: 'f', value: 82.33 } ], host: '192.168.1.11', port: '8000', clientId: 'RKQtOZXATq' } +0ms
  app:oscOutFilter oscData: { address: '/control', args: [ { type: 'f', value: 1 }, { type: 'f', value: 1 }, { type: 'f', value: 82.33 } ], host: 'midi', port: 'cubaseInstrument', clientId: 'RKQtOZXATq' } +0ms
app:oscOutFilter oscData: { address: '/increment_minus', args: [ { type: 'f', value: 1 } ], host: '192.168.1.11', port: '8000', clientId: 'RKQtOZXATq' } +2s
app:oscOutFilter oscData: { address: '/control', args: [ { type: 'f', value: 1 }, { type: 'f', value: 1 }, { type: 'f', value: 81.33 } ], host: '192.168.1.11', port: '8000', clientId: 'RKQtOZXATq' } +0ms
  app:oscOutFilter oscData: { address: '/control', args: [ { type: 'f', value: 1 }, { type: 'f', value: 1 }, { type: 'f', value: 81.33 } ], host: 'midi', port: 'cubaseInstrument', clientId: 'RKQtOZXATq' } +0ms

Thanks for your reply and help!

Strange - then it must be something specific in my setup. To test, I've tried removing my custom module, no difference. Cubase receives midi info only when I move the fader, but not when using the plus/minus buttons.

Your debug log does look a little different then mine. In mine, I don't see "address: '/control', args" This missing "/control" may be where the problem is? Here is my OSC debug when pushing the Plus, and Minus buttons.

(DEBUG, OSC) Out:  { address: '/increment_plus', args: [ { type: 'f', value: 1 } ] } To: 169.254.242.215:8080 
(DEBUG, OSC) In:  { address: '/increment_plus', args: 1 } From: 169.254.242.215:8080 
(DEBUG, OSC) Out:  { address: '/increment_minus', args: [ { type: 'f', value: 1 } ] } To: 169.254.242.215:8080 
(DEBUG, OSC) In:  { address: '/increment_minus', args: 1 } From: 169.254.242.215:8080 
1 Like

Hi,

First off, my apologies, I can't even explain why it was working strangely for me. I tried a blank session, no custom module at all, and we experienced the same dilemma. I then tried with my own template/custom module and I experienced the problem again. Ghost in the machine or just caught a weird lucky bug in my own custom module that made it work. Who knows haha.

Anyways, I'm not sure if this is the "correct" approach, but in order to achieve you want you can do this.

On the fader widget, remove everything from the osc property panel. Like this picture below.

Then, in the onValue() property, use send() instead. This way, when the value of the fader changes (by user or other widgets), the onValue script(s) will be triggered.

send("midi:OSCtoCUBASE", "/control", 1, 83, value)

Hopefully, that works!

Thanks again for your reply,

I originally had the Fader widget setup as you describe, and was getting the random 'ghost' as well, which why I posted for help. Hard to track down the problem when it seems to work sometimes in this 'random' way.

I'll keep exploring. I appreciate the help!

1 Like

Looks like a bug in open stage control, to be fixed.

1 Like

Thanks Jean-Emmanuel for the confirmation. Appreciate the reply!

After some digging it appears it's not a bug but the expected behavior when two widgets have the same id :

Widgets sharing the same id will act as clones and update each other's value(s) without sending extra osc messages.

To avoid that you should give different ids to the fader and the text widget, and either use linkId or scripting to link their value.

Thank you so much for following up on this. I made your suggested edits and it works perfectly!
I appreciate your help and excellent support!

Could you share your updated fader?

Sure, no problem. Here is the edited, working version.

The change I made was to give the 'text' a unique name, then add @{fader} in the text 'value' property. I usually just name the text the same as the fader to get the value readout, but that was causing the conflict.
Big thanks to jean-emmanuel for finding and correcting the error!

Increment Fader Corrected.json (5.5 KB)

2 Likes