Vu metter from ableton live to OSC

Hello ,
is it possible to create a view meter in OSC, with information coming from Ableton Live?

Has anyone done this before?

Patrick

There is certainly more than one way to do this. One is through the Ableton Live API (LOM) using the output_meter_level property.

I am developing an interface for Ableton using Open Stage Control and Clyphx Pro (which gives access to LOM).

I did a quick test. I can get the meter value and send it via OSC, but it is always 0.0. It would take some routine to get the value updated constantly (which I haven't had time to find out yet)

Hello ,

Thanks for the information.
I'm also trying to use OSC and ABLETON LIVE.
And to understand how we could have a vumeter ...
I am a beginner in OSC, but 20 years in MIDI, Cubase and Ableton ...

Patrick

1 Like

Hello, has anyone found a solution to do a view meter in OSC from Ableton Live?

I'm using an old 32bits VST plugin ( that you can still find here : Insert Piz Here - AudioToCC ) (You have to use something like jBridge to use it in Ableton).

It transforms input signal to CC and send it wherever you want. Works like a charm in OSC.

Hello ,
A big thank-you.
I installed the plug in via Jbridge, which I was already using.
It can be used at the same time as another VST.
Just define a new compact fader in OSC.
And it works

Patrick

1 Like

Hello,
The solution works very well on a new project with 2 or 3 tracks.
Unfortunately, on my project (13 tracks and 6 VST) OSC hardly answers any more and even I have cuts of connections between OSC and Ableton live.
I have to find another way through an M4L.

Patrick

Is there a parameter to reduce the rate at which that vst sends cc messages ? I see a "rate" value in your screenshot set to 2.3ms, if that's the time between two messages it's way to low (= 434 messages per second), try 40ms. Still based on the screenshot, if you don't need stereo feedback, make sure to disable stereo in the plugin to avoid sending twice as feedback messages as needed.

Very good suggestions.
I'll change these settings and see what happens.
thank you

here are the best values I can put to a single vu-meter.

And I no longer have a cut between OSC and LIVE.
But I will test on several tracks.