Midi Feedback Loop Problem

I've been using Open Stage Control for a couple of weeks now and I'm loving it. I have successfully connected to the Reaper DAW and have everything working exactly how I need. Reaper is great because it natively works with OSC. Moving a fader in Reaper moves the fader in OSC and moving a fader in OSC moves the fader in Reaper all without issue. That said, I'm now trying to connect to a DMX lighting system which support MIDI. I've been able to send midi to the DMX software and I'm able to get midi back. This is where the problem rises. If I move the fader quickly in OSC everything goes haywire! The OSC fader will jump up and down and will eventually flood midilooper. However, if I move the fader slowly everything works just fine. But move it fast and it just ping pongs out of control and everything comes to a halt. I know there's a loop happening, but I don't understand how to deal with it. Reaper worked so well with OSC, but DMXControl 3 (lighting software) is not. Any help with this would be appreciated.

Hi, you are just sending too much midi data in and out, you can script a fader to just send when releasing the fader (and not every little iteration).
That helped a lot in the project i did...
Also take a closer look at values/precision of values could help.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for your suggestion. I'm not sure how to script the fader to do that. Is there an example? This sounds like a good idea for OSC fader sends as well. WAIT, THIS WILL NOT WORK. You want your lights and sound to increase and decrease gradually with the fader. Not sure what I can do. I need to send the data gradually, but I don't need to receive it when I do send it. I only need to receive it when the application does something (like automation, scene changes, light colors.....).

What type of midi do you send out? CC ? You can also try to set the steps property to e.g. 128. You can sort/change/prevent incoming messages in a custom module by using javascript. Guessing the best way would be customising the way the hardware responds...

I tried sending control as well as notes. I tried steps and everything else I can think of without success. I think the light program I'm trying to send MIDI to is the problem. If I turn midi feedback OFF everything works just fine. I reported the issue to the software developer so I hope they fix it. Open Stage Control does a great job with state across clients so it's not a huge problem. My main reason for getting feedback was so I could actively monitor what was going on (color, intensity, position, etc) for each light as a programed scene. I can set all these things manually with OSC and create the scenes with javascript if I really wanted and just use the lighting software as a DMX controller.