The launcher’s context menu "Midi/List Devices" doesn't work

After doing all the steps that Jorge Vargas did in his tutorial (https://youtu.be/ZmKrkaIb6MQ), I can’t figure out why the console doesn’t display the list of devices (even though I included the “list” word in the Midi option in the OSC launcher).

More to the point, this is my problem:

Here’s a Screen Recording I’ve made.

P.S. The app is the answer to all my prayers. I successfully managed to install the OSC server on a windows computer, but I’d like also to be able to have the software on my Mac as well.

Thank you!

Hi, could you run this in a terminal and copy the output here ?

/path/to/python3 /path/to/open-stage-control/resources/app/server/python/list.py

Hi, could you run this in a terminal and copy the output here ?

/path/to/python3 /path/to/open-stage-control/resources/app/server/python/list.py

For the first command I get:

-bash: /path/to/python3: No such file or directory

For the second command I get:

-bash: /path/to/open-stage-control/resources/app/server/python/list.py: No such file or directory

Here's a screenshot of the terminal:

If I paste both on a single line I get:

MAC-BT:~ alin$ /path/to/python3 /path/to/open-stage-control/resources/app/server/python/list.py
-bash: /path/to/python3: No such file or directory

Hi, sorry I didn’t make this clear : you have to replace /path/to/... with the actual installation path of python / open-stage-control and it’s a single line command, not two separate ones.

It's fine... I should've guessed.

So, if i'm right, the two paths are:

/usr/local/bin/python3
/applications/open-stage-control/Contents/Resources/app/server/python/list.py

Text pasted from the terminal:

MAC-BT:~ alin$ /usr/local/bin/python3 /applications/open-stage-control/Contents/Resources/app/server/python/list.py
/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.7/Resources/Python.app/Contents/MacOS/Python: can't open file '/applications/open-stage-control/Contents/Resources/app/server/python/list.py': [Errno 2] No such file or directory

Here's a video I've made:

This means the path is incorrect, it seems Yosemite is a bit opaque regarding flie paths...

This simpler test could help checking if your python installation works:
run this in a terminal

/usr/local/bin/python3

then enter these 2 lines and copy the console's output here:

import rtmidi
print(rtmidi.__version__)

If by "console’s output" you mean "terminal's output", then here's the output:

MAC-BT:~ alin$ /usr/local/bin/python3
Python 3.7.4 (v3.7.4:e09359112e, Jul 8 2019, 14:36:03)
[GCC 4.2.1 (Apple Inc. build 5666) (dot 3)] on darwin
Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more information.

import rtmidi
print(rtmidi.version)

And a screenshot:

You said:

This means the path is incorrect, it seems Yosemite is a bit opaque regarding flie paths…

I said in the previous video that the word "Yosemite" is just the name of the partition where macOS is installed. My current macOS is Mojave (10.14.6).

P.S. Don't worry if you can't fix my problem. I'm successfully using OSC through a Windows virtual machine. Nevertheless, it would be nice to be able to use the OSC editor in a native environment, which would allow me to use all the keyboard shortcuts that you made in the app.
For example, "mod+left" and "mod+right" don't work in a browser OSC editor. This is because they are shortcuts assigned to "back" (ie. previous page), respectively "forward" (which I never use, by the way; and which I can't change → a real bummer!).

Ok I don't have a solution right now, I'll keep up informed if I do.

they are shortcuts assigned to [...]

I'll fix this in next release.

1 Like

Is there anything I can do here?

I’m not sure to understand what this screenshot is about. Looks like we’ll need help from another os x user here…

For now I can’t think of anything else that would help besides running the first test I mentioned but with the actual path to app/server/python/list.py which according to the error you encountered is not /applications/open-stage-control/Contents/Resources/app/server/python/list.py.

Another way to run the test would be to download the latest release source archive, unzip it and use the path to the app/server/python/list.py it contains instead of the one installed on your system.

On a fresh installed Mojave there's no problem. Everything works.
I think the problem was that I installed Python 3.8 (like Jorges Vargas said in his tutorial video - "Latest Python"). Sorry I didn't wait any longer (before reinstalling Mojave).

Also, thanks for the new version (V0.48.6). I'm very glad that the browser shortcuts conflict has been taken care of!

Ok cool, have fun with o-s-c !

1 Like