Midi Sysex for dummies

So sorry. Maybe i uploaded the wrong file. I'm uploading again + A short clip to demonstrate the problem. The OSC started to behave like that again where the push turned into tap until i press the second time. Getting there.json (82.5 KB)

and here is the video:

I indicated with my mouse everytime it responds like that
This doesn't happen in buttons 1-6 (i think) only in the upper buttons

Maybe it has something to do with the way i was copy paste buttons 1-3 ? But i followed everything as normal.
Or maybe it's the script?
I have no idea. All i knew is that it's critical for my performance that i won't have a "miss" in messages because i will use this live

You can check what O-S-C sends and receives with the server’s debug option. It looks like a feedback issue from the hardware.

Above: These are Sysex that OSC produces and it behaves normaly and button is pushed. At random some buttons Tap without being told to and the buttom of the picture is what the message is saying.

Yes, but this is occurring from OSC , not from my synth

Also, the strange thing that makes me think it’s not hardware is that it ONLY happens with buttons 7-10. I clicked on buttons 1-6 for 30min and could not get any sysex misses - works perfect. Buttons 7-10 is a different story

That's extremely unlikely, if the button highlights without beeing interacted with it's because it has received a message that matches its config.

You're witnessing it in OSC. The video you posted only shows that no feedback is sent under some conditions that are still unclear.

Did you download the Json file?

The video shows 10 buttons that are exactley the same settings
But, at random they respond as a tap and not toggle as they suppose to.
I’m not sure how can i clarify this more ? Please tell me

The button you hit are tap buttons. What makes them look like toggles is only the feedback coming from the synth.

Or in other words: The feedback from the synth is unstable - resulting in a seemingly a “tap” response. Once the synth respond properly it will toggle as it should.

Ok, this is something i need to investigate.
In the mean time, can you advice me on how to get these to button names (feedbac/button) and simply have one clear name or number on the button (without them overlap like that)

Maybe the synth is sending something else to tell you something went wrong ?

In the mean time, can you advice me on how to get these to button names (feedbac/button) and simply have one clear name or number on the button (without them overlap like that)

You can set the feedback button's label to false

Thanks with the button name - works!

Thank you for guiding me towards where i need to be. I now believe that is the Synth. So … these buttons 1-10 are registration buttons. They keep certain information of settings in my synth. Until now buttons 1-4 had no data so it fired a simple string of sysex - that’s why i had no problems with these buttons. Buttons 7-10 stored some data and while they also fire sysex , they also change settings in the synth, causing wither an interuption of the signal or something else i didn’t figure yet. When i press the second time, the OSC toggles properly because the settings in my synth are already called and are set so except for the sysex message nothign else fires the second press- no interruptions=OSC responds with no issue.

I just wonder how can i overcome this and wether this is realted to sysex buffers?

I made a VERY useful short video that shows sysex coming in and the OSC response.

I would highly appreciate if you can help me understand why the sysex messages in buttons 6,7,8 are causing the feedback button NOT to toggle? What is the problem with that sysex ? Is this something that i can address via Midi-ox? or maybe there's something else that can be done?

I think this is part of the problem. For some reason everything is looping (look at picture) . I wanted to have a situation in which click on the synth will SHOW on OSC and clicking a button will Trigger the synth. Instead i think what i created is an endless loop of one machine activates the other with no breaks. Can you confirm this and guide me on how to solve this?

It's hard to tell from the picture honestly, but you're definitely not in an endless loop because if you were the logs would show an endless flow of messages. (O-S-C doesn't reply to incoming messages, so you wouldn't get that unless you where using a custom module written to that effect)

I don't see how I can help without learning exactly how the synth works (not sure I want to). To me it just look like the synth fails to send the proper feedback for some reason. The video is actually of very little help, it'd be better to have a full copy-pasted log from O-S-C's console after doing only the following:

• stop o-s-c
  • reboot synth / workflow
  • start o-s-c / load session
  • click on a button that works
  • click on a button that doesn't work
  • that's it, nothing more

I did as you said.
I restarted everything. For some reason i’m unable to reproduce the problem. Now what OSC is doing when i press a button, the synth button is retriggering Non stop.
I restarted everything, pressed on the OSC button and copy paste the DEBUG fileDebug.txt (9.8 KB)

Basically , as of now, the pressing of a OSC button that has an event on my synth (like a transition in a music style) places the synth in a loop that doesn’t end. Only pressing on the next button ends the event.
This happens Randomly

Now you’re in a loop :slight_smile: but it’s not caused by O-S-C (the logs show that O-S-C only send one message as intended), did you route the synths output to its input ?

Thank you for mentioning that Jean. I posted the picture above (if you saw it the one with the mapping) i think this is what’s happening.
Y-free - is my midi channel that i created in loop midi and i think i mapped it correctly. Maybe i should map it differently? Do you have idea ?

LoopMIDI (top picture) Does indicate that the midi bytes IN and OUT are going through Y-free. The bottom channel shows how i mapped it in Midi-OX.
Should i have done it differetley?

In the main OSC settings i placeed : midi:Y-free 4,6

I wasn’t even sure if i can do that. Can i set up MIDIIN in one device and create a completely different device for MIDIOUT?
I thought i was suppose to create on device (Let’s say Y-free) and define which channel is IN and which is OUT (exacltley like it shows in the device list)

Am i wrong?

Ok!!! So… I fixed the problem

Nothing from the OSC side- As you said, i had a mapping problem which is now fixed. Non of the issues mentioned above repeated itself!!! :partying_face:

I will keep posting here because i have a related question:

As you remember you kindly gave me a script that will tell the buttons to be pressed one at a time. As you can see in the picture i have 3 rows of 10 buttons = 30 total - ALL the buttons were named button_1 - 30
feedback_1 - 30

i have a button next to every row to select the row i would like to control
I would like to press this button to control row 1 the second button to control row 2 and 3rd to control row 3.
In every row, i can only choose 1 button at a time
User can not click a different button in a different row without selecting the row first.

Can you kindly help me with the appropriate script?