Receiving SysEx messages through MIDI protocol

Hi there,

Seeing the success of the virtual-launchpad , I'm working to virtualize yet other greatest hit of Ableton Controller , a launchcontrol-xl .
The only issue is that thisone is a bit more complex, and for the communication with the hardware, (IN and OUT) it receives SysEx messages.

First of all) Is this possible?
I haven't seen such a feature, but is an analogous work to the virtual-launchpad .
If its not possible I would so much encourage to implement it, as its just receiving in the same port message which at the end we would be able (the developers of Devices) to create functions to just to translate this easily into something operable with the Widgets.

I know your intention when created this was to work under OSC protocol, but is a fact that MIDI protocol is not just there cos of legacy functionality, but it also extends and complements the usage of OSC that works in other level

For example I need to be able to retrieve values such as
F0 00 20 29 02 11 7B 00 00 00 F7
Send through MIDI protocol

Thanks

Hi,

of course, it is described in the docs .
You just need to append "sysex" to your midi configuration

send('midi','mididevicename','/sysex', 'f0 xx xx'); //when sending form a custom module

when you want to send it from a widget you have to set the target to midi (see hint when clicking on it)
I think the sysex string itself has to be in address property, i don't know it for sure (you find that info on the forum)

1 Like

Thanks , shame on me I haven't read the whole manual and I was making a monologue in this forum thread about it haham. I will crack on with this tomorrow!! Soon we will have "virtual-launchcontrolxl" in the food menu :smiley: