Is there a minimum PC spec to run OSC?

I was just wondering if there is a minimum spec for OSC to run on a PC?

I just turned on a PC I haven't used in my studio for the past 18 months (as I want to run OSC from my PC instead of a Mac Mini as I want multi touch) and unfortunately the PSU just blew. I have an alternative little Acer PC but it's old. I was wondering (before I go through the whole endeavour of formatting it and installing Windows onto it) whether this would be good enough...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Acer-Desktop-RAM4096MB-HD500GB-Windows/dp/B002TI844K

Can't you try O-S-C on that system without formatting it ? You just need to run a compatible browser and go to the server's address. Where the server runs shouldn't make a big difference. Now the bigger the session, the more it resources it takes, and your session is really huge...

1 Like

Unfortunately the computer is locked. A friend of mine who works at a school in the IT department gave it to me when they were clearing out a load of equipment. Unfortunately I don’t have the password to access windows so it means I have to reinstall windows.

Oh, I have managed to get the project down from 21mb to 15mb. It’s a positive start :joy:

It’s ok I’m going to abandon this idea and use another Pc that has an overclocked 2600k i7 in it. I don’t think it’s worth the hassle trying to get an old and slow machine working when OSC is the hub of all control in the studio.

Thanks for the response man.

I use OSC on a laptop from 2009.
Core 2 Duo, 4 GB of RAM, it works like a charm.

I’ve run OSC on one of these with no real problems -

Dell 5060 Fanless Silent PC. AMD 2.4GHz Quad Core, 4GB RAM, 64GB SSD, Windows 10 (£40 on eBay)

…but now I run the server on my main machine which is significantly higher spec and I use the above mini just to drive a touch screen monitor and the browser which I connect to the server via IP.

I prefer that as it saves faff with bonjour etc and I can just loopMidi from the server into cubase.

Laptop ASUS I7 (10 years) 16 GB, SSD ,1 screen , 1 dell 24 " touchscreen.

It works well

Excellent! Thanks everyone. Been running OSC on an i7 2600k and it just runs like butter now. :slight_smile:

For what it's worth, I develop o-s-c on 2 systems: an old dual core laptop (lenovo x61) and a desktop i7 4700K from 2014. I try to keep things reasonably smooth on the laptop but big sessions tend lag a little.

1 Like