Editor: selecting many widgets in one go?

Hello,

I have put many widgets inside a panel. Now I want to cut and paste them outside. However I do not see a way to select them in one go in the project tree. One has to select each widget holding the ctrl key. Or is there some magic key combination to achieve this?

Select one of them and hit ctrl+a to select all the siblings at once.

1 Like

Thanks. By the way I’ve discovered that one can expand an existing selection by holding shift and dragging over the list of widgets in the tree.

You may have your reasons for not implementing this, but this feels a lot more intuitive and what most users would feel familiar with:

Gif

shift select

To clarify. Shift dragging around widgets selects any that are enclosed/touching the enclosing box.

What might also be nice is if left click + drag behaviour defaults to shift + left click + drag behaviour (always able to select any widgets enclosed in/touching the drag box without having to hold shift)

2 Likes

That seems doable

What might also be nice is if left click + drag behaviour defaults to shift + left click + drag behaviour

Regular dragging must be left untouched because you can still interact with widgets like sliders.

Yes true. Or...hrmm...if mouse is over a slider, revert to normal drag behaviour...if mouse is over background, drag results in selection box?

There's also the drag-to-reorder in the project tree, different behavior depending on what's under the pointer seem more clumsy than a simple key modifier.

Yes, fair enough. Speaking of reordering in the tree. How hard would it be to implement clicking an item in the tree (e.g. button) and dragging it onto a container (e.g. panel or tab) and having it move into that container?

EDIT: Also, an indictor line would be helpful to see where the reorder will go. Something like this. A little less jarring. A nice touch.

Gif

indicator

How hard would it be to implement clicking an item in the tree (e.g. button) and dragging it onto a container (e.g. panel or tab) and having it move into that container?

I'm not sure, I'll try

EDIT: Also, an indictor line would be helpful to see where the reorder will go. Something like this. A little less jarring. A nice touch.

Currently the item itself is moved and shows where it's gonna land

Perhaps this is simpler?

If it's not too complicated, I'd like to have this feature:

1. Select a widget named solo_button_1 (or whatever);
  2. Use a keyboard command to select all the buttons starting with "solo_button_" (the part of text that is not a number).

How about typing "solo_button_" in the filter in the project tree and then selecting those?

Is this a laziness test? :stuck_out_tongue:

Quite possibly... :wink:

1 Like

Perhaps this is simpler?

Yes :slight_smile:

:+1:

1 Like

Just been thinking a bit more about this. See what you think..

The current selection behaviour selects the items only after releasing the mouse.

Current behaviour

red box

I propose a strong red colour box to aid the user experience when selecting widgets to edit. Clarity for the user.

Desired behaviour

more selecting

When selecting a widget in the tree, it is sometimes difficult to see exactly where that widget is on the page. The last example in the following gif especially illustrates this (when selecting "main_panel"). A strong red box with full borders (a complete box) would provide greater clarity to the user in this aspect.

Supporting thoughts

The current selection behaviour selects the items only after releasing the mouse.

And that's for a reason, it is needed to determine which widgets should be selected, it's a bit more complicated when there are nested widgets (which is not the case when selecting audio region in a DAW).

A strong red box with full borders (a complete box) would provide greater clarity to the user in this aspect.

That's more a matter of taste I'd say, you can change that with a theme file. I prefer keeping the outline discreet so that the final look of the widget is as less changed as possible when it's being customized.

1 Like

Fair enough. Good call. Appreciate your response.