Need Some Guidance and help

Hi everyone.
I’m very blessed to be here.

I wanted to ask where I can get help from a scripter or someone who knows this system in and out?

From doing some reading here it seems that this individual: jean-emmanuel , knows absolutely everything! A little genius!

How can I make contact with him? If you read this
jean-emmanuel , I will be grateful if you reply.

I’m working on a project. I already know exactly what I want. I see it in my brain but can not bring in down in a script. It seems that this program can do virtually everything. Am I wrong? I need

• To create Midi controller with buttons that will be able to receive and transmit midi messages
  • need to save a lot of settings into preset buttons that will recall all the settings (like snap or capture)
  • need to have some other functions like drop down menu for library etc.
    -Need to be able to save my project as a software and sell to a client

It seems that every platform can only do partial things for me : oscpilot, Lenuer, Osc controller. They are all nice but always missing something.

Can someone please direct me to how to get my idea a reality? I have the Sketch with a comprehensive explanation of what I need every button to do!

Willing to pay reasonably for anyone who can help me

Especially jean-emmanuel ! :slight_smile:

Please help everyone :pray:

Sincerely
Elad

Hi Elad,
Thanks for your interest in O-S-C. Currently I can find the time to answer most questions out there but hopefully with the community and the improvements/additions the documentation needs it won't always be that way (not that I don't like it :)).

I guess the only way to find out whether O-S-C suits your needs is to try it. I personally am not interested in building on-demand interfaces unless the project has a strong connection with the free and open source software/art philosophy. That being said, I'll be around to help my best if you have question along the learning path :).

To create Midi controller with buttons that will be able to receive and transmit midi messages

Sounds reasonable !

need to save a lot of settings into preset buttons that will recall all the settings (like snap or capture)

Using a custom module or scripting could do the trick.

need to have some other functions like drop down menu for library etc

I'm not sure what you mean, but there's a dropdown widget :wink:

Need to be able to save my project as a software and sell to a client

O-S-C is released under the copyleft GNU/GPL3 license. You can sell your work but you can't distribute a closed-source binary that includes O-S-C : Frequently Asked Questions about the GNU Licenses - GNU Project - Free Software Foundation

Ok, I understand everything.

I’m a little embarrassed to say but I’m stuck at the beginning.
The set up window is not clear to me

I read the documentation and still do not understand what port number goes where?
There’s no OSC in my project. Only midi

I even tried to import few template projects of community members just to have a feel for it but I get a lot of error messages. I think because of the set up window.

Can I have a step by step guide to the initial set up?

You don't need to set port numbers if you're only using MIDI.

The step by step guides I'm aware of:

1 Like

I really appreciate your response.

I will follow the video . But what about python and all this stuff. Do I need to install python? And other middidn (something like that)

Yes, I only use it for midi. Nothing else

Yes, python 3 and the python-rtmidi package are required to enable MIDI support in Open Stage Control (https://openstagecontrol.ammd.net/docs/midi/midi-configuration/).

Oh I wish to find this video when I started !!

Well it got out a just week ago !

1 Like

I followed his instructions to the letter but somehow for Windows users it is different and it didn't work
I'm missing something but I don't know what.

I'm making a short video. If you can Please watch it and tell me what I'm doing wrong?
Certain commands didn't work the way it was presented but worked in a different way.

For example the command: "python get-pip.py" did no work but "get-pip.py" worked!
I was then trying to do the other commands including the update for pip and downloading the midi

It was unclear how to install the package and the command did not work for me.

Jean, if you will guide me through zoom for 5 minutes how it is done on windows I 'm willing to upload a short video to you tube showing windows users how it is don to benefit everyone. If I'm having difficulty, others also experience difficulties and I believe the installation part is the hardest part. I truly think your creation is the best thing out there but I really need guidance, step by step

This is the video I made following the directions:

I highly appreciate the fast response in this forum.By far the best support out there :blush:

you took the video that is for OSX the first link was for the windows version

Thank you for replying Zoltan.

Both links are for the same video. I didn’t see any difference between the two

don’t watch the video, Read the thread

I did read the thread and followed it to the letter.
I know there’s something I’m missing but I don’t know what.

Would you be kind and maybe have a 10min zoom meeting with me? I’ll share my screen so you can see what I’m doing.

if it can help and if I have the solution, but I’m not on windows …

Thank you Zoltan for your desire to help. I think that it will be more beneficial if a windows user will do it.

I wish Jean-emmanuel will be available. It seems that I can really have all my questions answered in a short session with.

Jean, are you willing to zoom meeting with me?

On my part, I will post a topic to summarize our meeting so it will benefit the entire community.

I will also make a short YouTube video showing the installation process for windows.

And if course, I’m willing to contribute/donate the community for your time.

I just think it will be more productive if I will have a short zoom meeting with You.

In my post I can do a topic : Q&A with Jean and post everything you answered . It will be a VERY newbe ,beginner thing. I will put my time to make a really nice post.

What do you think Jean?

I’ll add an explanation for each OS* in the MIDI setup documentation because there are just too many ways to do it and things can get pretty confusing.

Here’s what you should do:

python -m pip install python-rtmidi

*edit: done

Do you mean that I should go to the python folder first and then type
-m pip install python-rtmidi

Can you tell me in specific which directory you want me to be in and exactly what to type in that directory?

You don’t have to do it in a particular folder, pip (the package installer for python) will handle that automatically). The issue you had was that your installation of pip did not make it available as a command line program (that’s what the yellow warning in your terminal was about), the above command lets python find pip for you.
The complete procedure is now available here : https://openstagecontrol.ammd.net/docs/midi/midi-configuration/

Thank you for your prompt reply jean.

I will try it tonight when I get home.

Last question: when you say install rtmidi, is that assuming that I already downloaded the package manually? Or this will also download and install the rtmidi? Because I’ve tried to manually download rtmidi which was in a double zipped folders. I wasn’t sure what to do with or where to dump it.

If you can clarify I would appreciate it.

My goal is to have this installation completed successfully, then Uninstaller everything and redo it again and upload the video so everyone can follow step by step.

Thanks

Nothing more is needed, I added a few words to clarify this in the docs.