MIDI, sysex, LED, LCD screen questions

Hello Abstrus,
unfortunately I did not manage to implement the MCU xt in the last module (nor did I try, actually). If you read the whole thread carefully you will see that there was an earlier effort by Jean-Emmanuel:
mackielcd.json
It was only the LCD strip, and when I tested it, I did manage to copy all the widgets and change their addresses to the corresponding MCU xt addresses. But that was before Jean-Emmanuel had fully developed the full module.
Also I know pretty much nothing about coding/scripting. The miniscule changes that I figured out how to tweak were achieved by trial and error or simple logic. So, I really don’t know how to do it, although based on what Jean-Emmanuel said:
"The custom module should only convert mcu-related message (I made sure of that in a recent change), you can use the same midi port as long as you avoid the mcu-related slots:

• notes on channel 1
  • control changes on channel 1
  • channel pressure on channel 1
  • pitchbend on channels 1-9"

I would guess it is possible. But again, it is too complicated for me to figure it out, and honestly, I think is of no use (at least for me). If one works on a modest size touch pad, or a 15inch laptop with a touchscreen, you have to either add the additional 8 channel strips, and by effect size down everything else; or put the MCU and XT in different tabs in order to toggle between - either of the two I find needlessly complicated. Also I can imagine the doubled commuication traffic potentialy beind resource hog… But that’s just what I think. Sorry I could not be of more help… If you need something else, please do ask.

I think the key is to use a 2nd midi port for the extender, this means the custom module would need to be adjusted to filter incoming messages from 2 predefined ports, and the extra UI widgets would need to target that extra port. Unfortunately I don’t have much time to experiment on this, maybe I’ll get back to it later though.

Thank you, both of you. Maybe the feedback (that is the main problem here), is caused by reflected OSC Messages, i posted also on the reaper forum.

From what I’ve seen in another DAW (Ardour), the MCU and the the extender are supposed to be connected via 2 different MIDI ports, otherwise the feedback messages for the two 8-faders banks are mixed up.

i don’t use the extender now, just your template.

(DEBUG, OSC) In: { address: '/play', args: 1 } From: midi: osc_mcu

These extra osc messages you see are generated by the custom module (to update the widgets), not by the DAW.

ok, so there is some kind of loop because of channel 1 messages ?
btw. is it possible to send out sysex on another midi port (or is there a restriction to one midi in and out)?

btw. is it possible to send out sysex on another midi port (or is there a restriction to one midi in and out)?

There's no restriction.

thanks, i think that has to be done in a custom module. I now switched to an OSC Template, with that it seems to be easier, and no feedback problems so far. Thanks again for the support.