Is it possible to create a keyboard (widget) that not only sends an o.s.c. signal but also generates a midi sound and works as a reference for playing an instrument?

HI,
First of all, I would like to thank you for your work and effort. I've found very interesting your osc proyect.
I'm testing several keyboards with my students using open stage control. They play with their mobiles against my osc server at my computer.
OSC is conected to Ableton.
The problem is the student don't hear their own sound, only the final outcome in my laptop.
I was wondering if it's possible to play each students' instrument independently while they hear what they are doing. It's not important if it's not the same sound at the laptop. It's only a reference.
Thank in advace
Pablo

Open Stage Control doesn't generate any audio, I'm afraid that's not possible with o-s-c only.

Hello,
Again, thank you very much for everything.
Sorry for the doubts.
Thanks to your project, I have been able to recreate a small orchestra with the students.
Reading the documentation, I thought I understood that you can create modules or make modifications, so I would like to know if it is possible and where I could tweak the module with javascript code to play sounds in the client.
I'm a musician and I'm taking a javascript course after reading the documentation, but I'm still a bit lost.
I would like my students to hear what they are playing. Although the sound was a basic piano
Thanks in advance and sorry for the insistence, your project is allowing me to work in class in an incredible way.
Pablo

Hi, I'm very glad o-s-c can be of use in a classroom :slight_smile:

User modules, referred as "custom modules" in the docs allow extending the server's features, but there's not much that can be done on the client app side without editing the app's source code and building it.

Hi

Just think about something : is there no possibility with OSC to MIDI conversion and MIDI over network, with a free, open source tool - CDM Create Digital Music

Into open stage control, imagine 4 tabs with one keyboard per client machine. If each keyboard sends the note played to the host as an osc message. Each student use a different keyboard set with the address ip of its machine.
The client has to convert this osc message into a midi msg. No ?

Thank you very much. I will try to find a way for the students to have audio feedback. Thanks again, and congratulations on your project.

Hi, Thank you for your help.
I understood that the conversion of the osc message to midi was done on the computer via the virtual midi ports.
So, I thought about the possibility of using a midi keyboard code in javascript and try to associate the sound generating function of each key with the id generated by osc for each key, modifying the javascript file created for each keyboard.
I apologize for my javascript knowledge, I'm doing a course since I saw osc. It's probably a wrong idea due to my lack of knowledge.
Again, thak you!

I think you’re nearly there with your idea around virtual midi ports.

If you set up 4 ports that can receive from OSC and then connect them to an application that can send midi over Ethernet (for example here after a quick Google)

You then set up a port on each of the machines that the students are working on and connect that to the midi messages coming from the server over IP.

You then connect a small standalone vsti (loads of freeware or cheap ones out there) and this will send the audio to the student of audio out

Alternatively put the OSC server in each of the students machines and run local session which you can use a virtual midi port to route directly toe a vsti.