Tap Tempo with Cubase

Hi Guys,

I found the tap tempo button available on this forum. While it shows the tempo on the touchscreen it doesn’t actually change the tempo in my cubase project. Anyone know how this can be setup?

Hi!

I believe you need to find a workaround for this, because according to recordingblogs.com you can't send tempo information through a MIDI port to another MIDI device. "Tap" button can be downloaded from here (courtesy of Jean Emmanuel's) or from below (courtesy of mine :grin:).

bpm 2.json (5.2 KB)

1. Download the file named bpm 2.json.
  2. Open it in O-S-C.
  3. Select the button named "Send tempo value to Cubase".
  4. Make sure that the inspector (right panel) is open, then scroll down to the last property.
    (scripting / onValue)
  5. Replace "SessionKiano" with the MIDI port you want to use.
  6. Buy a MAC.
  7. Buy Bome Midi Translator Pro.
  8. Install Cliclick (free command line tool).
  9. Write a script (AppleScript) to:
    • open the tempo track
    • execute the "select all" command (to select all tempos in the tempo track)
    • double click the value in the Info Line
    • type the BPM value (or paste the oo variable value)
    • commit the changes
    • close the tempo track
  10. In Bome Midi Translator Pro, create a translator and set it to be triggered when the button named "Send tempo value to Cubase" is pressed. You set this in the "Incoming" section.
    (MIDI Message / Pitch Bend / Ch. 1 / Any Bend Amount / Set Variable to Bend Amount : oo).
    Make sure though that under "Select MIDI Ports" you check "Specific Ports...", and then you choose only the port you want to use with this. Otherwise, the translator will get activated when you, for instance, use the Pitch Bend wheel on your MIDI keyboard...
  11. With the same Bome translator selected, go to "Outgoing" section and then select "Applescript". Underneath you can paste the script you've made (the one to automate opening the tempo track, etc).
  12. Done.

Thanks for the reply, shame it’s not a simple setup. Seems these guys using touch designer have figured out a way to do it.

Can you please post where exactly in the video is the moment where they are changing the tempo?

Around 44:09