Several OSC (midi-configuration) errors.. where to start?

Hi,
I’m trying to setup the midi configuration of OSC, but whatever I try, I keep getting errors, with several different things.
Before I go ahead…
-the config-manual notes that midi is bundled in OSC from version 1.7 and I’m using version 1.8.1 win32 x64, so I assumed nothing else needs to be installed except OSC. Is that right? Otherwise, it might be a good idea to change that description…
-I unpacked the zip to “c:/program files/OSCcontrol”, not “c:/program files (x86)/OSCcontrol”. Is that the correct path?
-I want to control external midi hardware: the axoloti circuitboard. From OSCpilot (which worked straight away without any extra installations) I got that the midi port is 4, called “axoloti_core”. So I know the computer recognizes the midi-connection and it’s available for programs.

then:
-When running the launcher (the first menu that starts?) and pressing “list midi devices”, I get the error:

“A JavaScript error occurred in the main process: Uncaught Exception:
Error: spawn py ENOENT
at Process.ChildProcess._handle.onexit (internal/child_process.js:264:19)
at onErrorNT (internal/child_process.js:456:16)
at processTicksAndRejections (internal/process/task_queues.js:77:11)”

I assume this is the main culprit that makes any further attempt to get the midi to work futile… So how would I fix this?

Anyways, in case this gives some extra information, what I immediately get when I start a new session:

“(ERROR, MIDI) Could not find python binary: py”

This looks like I dó still need to install phyton besides OSC, while the manual seems to say everything is included to make it work… If this is the case, it would be really helpful to add links for these in the configuration manual to the exactly right downloads (don’t let a noob try for himself to find out what he needs, he (in this case me…) will probably fail).

then:
for setting up the midi configuration in the launcher, I tried several different things:
for the send box I tried:
“midi:4,4” (trying out whether it would respond by just setting the midiport instead of the name)
“midi: axoloti,axoloti”
“midi: axoloti_core,axoloti_core” (which should be the right one)

for the midi box I tried:
“midi: 4,4”
“axoloti: 4,4”
“midi: axoloti,axoloti”
“midi: axoloti_core,axoloti_core”
“axoloti: axoloti_core,axoloti_core” (which should be the right one)

then:
when I add a fader in a session and move the slider, it already gives me an error without me even changing any settings:

"
(ERROR) A JavaScript error occurred in the main process:
Error [ERR_STREAM_DESTROYED]: Cannot call write after a stream was destroyed
at doWrite (_stream_writable.js:414:19)
at writeOrBuffer (_stream_writable.js:402:5)
at Socket.Writable.write (_stream_writable.js:302:11)
at PythonShell.send (C:\Program Files\OSCcontrol\open-stage-control-1.8.1-win32-x64\resources\app\server\node_modules\python-shell\index.js:285:1)
at MidiConverter.send (C:\Program Files\OSCcontrol\open-stage-control-1.8.1-win32-x64\resources\app\server\src\server\midi.js:55:1)
at OscServer.sendOsc (C:\Program Files\OSCcontrol\open-stage-control-1.8.1-win32-x64\resources\app\server\src\server\osc\index.js:91:1)
at Object.send (C:\Program Files\OSCcontrol\open-stage-control-1.8.1-win32-x64\resources\app\server\src\server\osc\index.js:237:1)
at Object.sendOsc (C:\Program Files\OSCcontrol\open-stage-control-1.8.1-win32-x64\resources\app\server\src\server\callbacks.js:357:1)
at Socket. (C:\Program Files\OSCcontrol\open-stage-control-1.8.1-win32-x64\resources\app\server\src\server\server.js:177:1)
at Socket.emit (events.js:203:13)
"

Hi !

I unpacked the zip to “c:/program files/OSCcontrol”, not “c:/program files (x86)/OSCcontrol”. Is that the correct path?

The installation path doesn’t matter, both should work.

“(ERROR, MIDI) Could not find python binary: py”

Does your midi option contains something like path=some/path/to/py ? If that’s the case that’s what’s causing the error, you might have followed an outdated tutorial, the path parameter should not be set.
If not, then a file might be missing from your the O-S-C installation, did your antivirus removed a file at some point (“osc-midi-windows.exe” might raise false positive alerts).

for the midi box I tried: […]

The name before the colon is the one you should use in the send option. There should be no space after the colon. Note that the port numbers or port names are to be retrieved from the list returned by O-S-C when clicking “list midi devices”.

for the send box I tried:

You should write midi:name_defined_in_midi_option
Note that this will make every widget attempt to send it’s value as a MIDI message (except for widgets with bypass or ignoreDefaults enabled).

Does your midi option contains something like path=some/path/to/py ? If that’s the case that’s what’s causing the error, you might have followed an outdated tutorial, the path parameter should not be set.
If not, then a file might be missing from your the O-S-C installation, did your antivirus removed a file at some point (“osc-midi-windows.exe” might raise false positive alerts).

no, I didn’t include anything like “path/etc…”
but yes, the anti-virus removed it and I told it to put it back. But I just found out that the anti-virus renamed the file with an extra extension when it did. So I removed this part now.

The name before the colon is the one you should use in the send option. There should be no space after the colon. Note that the port numbers or port names are to be retrieved from the list returned by O-S-C when clicking “list midi devices”.

the space I accidentally added overhere in my post (sorry), but did not do this in the launcher.
But when I click at “list midi devices”, it just doesn’t show me any devices.

So if I understand correctly, in the midi-box I declare a name for the midi-ports (the part before the colon), and after the colon, I enter the actual name of the midiport in&out, seperated by a komma.
Thus, if I got it to work and assuming my axoloti comes up as a port called “axoloti_core” and I give it the name “axoloti”:

in the midi-box this should be:
“axoloti:axoloti_core:axoloti_core”

and in the send-box this should be:
“midi:axoloti,axoloti”

so, clicking the “list midi devices” option doesn’t show anything (not even an error).
while starting up the session, I get the error:

(ERROR) A JavaScript error occurred in the main process:
Error: spawn UNKNOWN
at ChildProcess.spawn (internal/child_process.js:394:11)
at Object.spawn (child_process.js:553:9)
at new PythonShell (C:\Program Files\OSCcontrol\open-stage-control-1.8.1-win32-x64\resources\app\server\node_modules\python-shell\index.js:99:1)
at new MidiConverter (C:\Program Files\OSCcontrol\open-stage-control-1.8.1-win32-x64\resources\app\server\src\server\midi.js:30:1)
at Object.278…/custom-module (C:\Program Files\OSCcontrol\open-stage-control-1.8.1-win32-x64\resources\app\server\src\server\osc\index.js:12:1)
at o (C:\Program Files\OSCcontrol\open-stage-control-1.8.1-win32-x64\resources\app\server\node_modules\browser-pack_prelude.js:1:1)
at C:\Program Files\OSCcontrol\open-stage-control-1.8.1-win32-x64\resources\app\server\node_modules\browser-pack_prelude.js:1:1
at Object. (C:\Program Files\OSCcontrol\open-stage-control-1.8.1-win32-x64\resources\app\server\src\server\server.js:191:1)
at Object. (C:\Program Files\OSCcontrol\open-stage-control-1.8.1-win32-x64\resources\app\server\open-stage-control-server.js:75755:4)
at Object.282…/auth (C:\Program Files\OSCcontrol\open-stage-control-1.8.1-win32-x64\resources\app\server\open-stage-control-server.js:75755:17)

I guess this is because I’m trying to open the device while it’s unable to find it…?

Error: spawn UNKNOWN

Looks like O-S-C run to load the aforementioned executable file. Maybe the antivirus modified it ? Are you running Windows 64bit (32bit is not currently supported) ?

I’m running 64bit windows
Which executable file do you mean? The “osc-midi-windows.exe”?

going through the anti-virus, I now see it had quarantined a lot more files before I even noticed it did…
I’ll put them back and see what happens

FWIW:

finally! Listing midi devices works.
Avira kept putting them in the quarantine…

yes, it’s working! Thank you very much!

I think I'm experiencing the same exact issue
I Have a win10 64bit and was updating to the new version

windows antivirus alerted me that this installation has a virus and bla bla bla

At the end I'm getting the same messages and unable to see my midi device list.

I have no idea what you are saying about quarantine and how to fix this?

I explored a little bit and came to a screen that said this (see picture)
should i hit on restore?