Server Authentication Stops .json From Loading + Deprecation Warning

Hi everyone.

I have created an Open Stage Control surface for use in our school theatre. Works amazing, very quick and responsive, no problems there.

However, I don’t want students to be able to access it in the middle of a rehearsal, or a show for that matter. When I enter a user:password combination in the “authentication” section of the server, the remote client is able to log in but it does not load the .json file.

To be clear, it DOES load without authentication, but for some reason does not load when I add a user:password. This only affects remote clients, it loads perfectly fine on the same computer.

I also see the DEP0005 “DeprecationWarning Buffer() is deprecated due to security and usability issues” etc. in the console when I start the server after entering the user:password info in the authentication box on the server. Perhaps this has something to do with it?

Thanks,
TT

Are you using an iOS device as client ? A similar issue has been reported before but I haven't been able to fix it so far. Could you please post the entire warning message if there's anything more ? I have little hope that it's related but just in case :). Also please report the iOS version and the o-s-c server version.

In any case using a private network should be a good alternative to the authentication method.

1 Like

Hi Jean-Emmanuel, sorry for the late reply! The full error code is as follows:

(node: 10144) [DEP0005] DeprecationWarning: Buffer() is deprecated due to security and usability issues. Please use the Buffer.alloc(), Buffer.allocUnsafe(), or Buffer.from() methods instead.
(Use ‘open-stage-control —trace-deprecation … ‘ to show where the warning was created)

I hope this is helpful, and yes this problem is on iOS device browsers, version 15.2 and 12.5 (using older iPhone 11 and iPad Air). O-S-C version is v1.22.0

Really appreciate your work, thank you!

I too am facing this issue. Just added authentication user:password setting. Now getting this message:

(node:5000) [DEP0005] DeprecationWarning: Buffer() is deprecated due to security and usability issues. Please use the Buffer.alloc(), Buffer.allocUnsafe(), or Buffer.from() methods instead.
(Use open-stage-control --trace-deprecation ... to show where the warning was created)

$ open-stage-control -v
$ open-stage-control --trace-deprecation
Usage:
open-stage-control [options]
Unknown arguments: trace-deprecation, traceDeprecation
$ open-stage-control --trace-deprecation DEP0005
Usage:
open-stage-control [options]
Unknown arguments: trace-deprecation, traceDeprecation

Linux - Debian 12 - amd64
No remote clients connected

The warning is harmless and unrelated to the issue, I'll try to make it disappear at some point though.

The issue should be resolved in v1.25.4.

1 Like

Indeed it does, thank you very much @jean-emmanuel!