Crowded areas with lots of WIFI devices/activity making o-s-c unusable

So I appreciated the chance to showcase my project at gearfest recently but unfortunately was the busiest place I’ve had the opportunity to test out o-s-c on a crowded wifi network.

I also tested out making my own hotspot while I was there, but under both conditions, it initially loaded but was so slow the connection eventually gets disconnected.

Any recommendations for improving functionality in crowded areas where a lot of wifi signals interrupt more? Not sure even reducing the amount of widgets and o-s-c messages being sent would help. but I’m willing to explore other options as I’m showcasing my project in more and more crowded places (SeaGL is next week and I’ll actually be giving a talk and shoutout to @jean-emmanuel and this community btw - so it would be great if I could demo the wifi!

Not sure if getting a more powerful wifi device/router would even help but I’m curious on other peoples inputs. Am interested in ALL possible options to solve this issue

Looked into reverse tethering in the past and it seems like SimpleRT as suggested by @cyberic is a great option (though I’m still figuring out the android side of that) and if nothing else I will make sure to get it working over usb (or ethernet cable if I have to!)

Best regards to everyone and thanks for any input!

Hi! Here are a few thoughts:

• use 5GHZ wifi instead of 2.4GHZ (works over smallers distance and is bad at penetrating walls but may be less crowded)
  • use the router’s scanner to determine the less crowded wifi channel
  • set device ip and wifi channel manually to avoid automatic changes (if it happens ?)
  • if the mobile device has a 3/4G chip, try disabling it
1 Like

regarding simpleRT: I had very good results with it. And it solves every connection problem/instability, and also works were there is no wifi at all

There is a .apk you need to install on your android device, that will be run automatically when you connect the usb

1 Like

Hum I admit I did not even try to build the apk, I used the binary from github release page

1 Like

@alignwaivers by the way, I’m looking forward to seeing your presentation’s podcast !

There should be a video archived but sadly it won’t be livestreamed! I’ll keep you updated though for sure and will actually do a better job of documenting the whole project overall and post that to the “Made with Open Stage Control” soon!