Can't see Timecode with OSC on a Networked Computer

Hey everyone,

I'm trying to create a display window that shows Timecode. When I have OSC running on my main computer (using OSX and two IAC ports for input and output) I can see timecode in a text label when using /mtc

That all works fine.

However, I have OSC on a Mac Mini with my touch screen connected and I have this computer networked to my main computer. Everything is working fine except for displaying timecode. I'm just wondering if there are any known problems with doing this?

I have 2 IAC ports on the Mac Mini (named the same as the Main computer) but for my commands to work in Cubase I am using Apple's Midi Network Setup and within Cubase I am selecting Midi input and output to be the networked midi ports. Whatever I try, I just can't get the timecode to show on a text label.

In the debugger I can see a wall of data constantly streaming when I hit play or record in Cubase. So I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.

I also have another question about Timecode.

When I had it working with OSC running natively on the main computer, I noticed that Timecode would display in a Text label but only when playing or recording. If I used the mouse and clicked anywhere, the Timecode values would not update. And this basically renders this functionality as redundant because the whole point of having a TC display is so when you stop/scrub/nudge to find exact points for editing, you can have an exact measurement. And a lot of this kind of work involves clicking and moving the cursor manually. I'm hoping it's just something I'm not doing right as I would love a Time Display (and Bars and Beats) on my OSC controller .

Any help would be amazing. And many thanks

Jono

Did you set the text widget's target to midi:device_name_as_defined_in_server_config ?

I noticed that Timecode would display in a Text label but only when playing or recording. If I used the mouse and clicked anywhere, the Timecode values would not update.

This looks like a problem in the DAW.

Thanks Jean,

Yeah I've set the text widget target. I actually have tried every which way possible. I'll keep looking into it as it's definitely user error. It works fine when running OSC on my DAW computer and just using the Midi Ports on that computer. I just can't seem to get it display the numbers when networking with Apple's Midi Networking options. I'll keep trying. :slight_smile:

Maybe it's just the midi-over-network thing that doesn't let the events through ?

I'm just currently working through a list of things I need to get finished with my OSC controller and then I'm going to look at this again. Ultimately I will buy a second hardware MIDI interface and just plug the dedicated computer with connected Touch Screen connected straight into the second MIDI interface and then I'll connect that MIDI interface with my Main Computer's MIDI interface and there won't be any issue ever. I don't thing things could ever be more rock solid than that. Just trying to not buy anymore gear whilst covid is making things financially unstable!

It made me jump for joy seeing the TC numbers when I had it running on the main computer.

I was wondering if I could ask what may seem like a basic question question but it's about usage of OSC.

The reason I started using OSC on a dedicated computer with touch screen connected was because of the issue that both Windows and OSX has of apps going in and out of focus when running a native touch screen. It makes using a touch screen kind of useless when running natively.

So I guess my question is, what's the best way of using OSC? I have tried running my OSC Controller I'm making, on my iPad (although I'm not designing it for iPad due to the screen size) just merely to see it connect etc and using a browser it really ran sluggishly. So I tried running OSC on my dedicated touch screen computer and not using a browser (using the client window/editor that is OSC) and it ran instantly. So that's how I am using it. Sorry, this is a bit off topic from Timecode.

Jono